Mr. Leeth is a 1982 graduate of Indiana University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and a 1988 graduate of Valparaiso University School of Law. Mr. Leeth chairs the Real Estate and Land Use Segment within the firm. He utilizes a team approach to manage client engagements with the active participation of associate attorneys and paralegal support where appropriate. The team approach also includes other disciplines such as land planners, civil engineers, architects and other consultants.
Mr. Leeth's real estate practice covers all types of transactions, including purchase, sale and leasing. Mr. Leeth has represented a national discount grocer since 1990 in over 200 transactions including shopping center leases, ground leases, build to suit, in addition to more traditional purchase and sale contracts. Mr. Leeth also represents many homeowner and property owner's associations both on a continuing basis and for special projects such as amending or updating community standards and restrictive covenants. In 2017, he represented a large community association in the purchase of the 18-hole championship golf course from private owners.
Mr. Leeth's land use practice is currently exclusively representing private property owners and businesses in all zoning and permit matters in most Northwest Indiana communities.
These matters include:
• Subdivision Approval
• Development Permits
• Rezoning Petitions
• Appeals of Zoning Decisions
• PUD Projects
• Zoning Variances
• Special Exceptions
• Tax Abatements
• Defense of Zoning Violations
Significant land use cases handled include:
• Downtown re-development residential project. (2019-2020)
• 153 acre Mixed Use Planned Unit Development including Public-Private Partnership for regional storm water management. (2019)
• 170 Acre Sport Resort / Mixed-Use PUD in Portage, Indiana (2015-2017).
• Transportation intermodal project in Valparaiso, Indiana (2016).
• 150 Acre Planned Unit Development with Business Park and Multi-Family Community annexed to City of Valparaiso (2013 - 2015).
• A 100+ acre multi-use development immediately adjacent to the new Porter Regional Hospital. (2010-2015)
• Secured administrative action reversing denial of solar generating facility variance allowing project to proceed without significant litigation costs. (2012).
• A 228 acre residential subdivision. (2011)
• Obtained favorable court ruling reversing denial of electronic LED billboard for national sign company. (2011)
• A mixed use development including 1450 homes in St. John, Indiana. (2005-2010)
• A controversial sanitary landfill proposal for southern Porter County. (2002)
• 504 acre Planned Unit Development in rural Porter County. (1998-2001)
Each year Mr. Leeth represents dozens of property owners on small zoning matters for their homes as well as larger projects and developments and new businesses locating to Northwest Indiana. Mr. Leeth has previously represented the Town of Lowell and the Town of Kouts.
Mr. Leeth resides in Valparaiso with his wife, Cheryl. He enjoys golf, and during the Midwest winters, watching college basketball.
Areas Of Practice
- Real Estate and Land Use Segment (Chair)
- Business Segment
- Indiana, 1988
- Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, Indiana
- J.D. - 1988
- Indiana University
- B.A. - 1982
- Major: Political Science
- Property Taxes 101
- Homeowner’s Association Policies
- Business Identity Theft
- Up In Smoke
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF) - Former Member, Board of Directors
- ICLEF Seminar Chair, Annual Real Estate Institute
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Indiana State Bar Association - Past Chair, Land Use & Zoning Section
- Porter County Bar Association
- Indiana Municipal Lawyers Association
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF) , Former Member, Board of Directors
- Home Builder's Association of Northwest Indiana, Board of Directors
- ICLEF Seminar Chair - Annual Real Estate Institute
Pro Bono Activities
- Greater Valparaiso Chamber of Commerce - Chairman (2018), Board of Directors (2017 - Present)
- The First Tee of Indiana - Northwest, Committee Chairman
- Valparaiso Country Club - Secretary, Board of Directors
- Salvation Army of Porter County - Past President, Advisory Board
- Leadership Northwest Indiana - Participant and former Member, Board of Directors
- United Way of Porter County - former Member, Board of Directors; 2019 - 2020 Campaign Chair