Joe Jaskowiak concentrates his practice in complex business, commercial and employment litigation. In recent years, he has handled matters in the following areas:
• Business contract and tort claims
• Catastrophic injury and death cases
• Franchise disputes
• Employment discrimination
• Strikes, picketing and labor injunctions
• Trade secret, non-competition and
• confidentiality litigation
• Labor contract negotiations and
• Shareholder, partnership and LLC disputes
• Wage and hour actions
• Lead counsel for thirteen hotels in Chicago class action litigation relating to alleged improper use of wi-fi technology
• Lead counsel for two downtown Indianapolis hotels and their management company in collective action over wages by fourteen workers under the Fair Labor Standards Act
• Lead counsel in a series of six lawsuits related to the sale of a national franchisor, including claims of breach of contract, breach of confidentiality agreement, breach of fiduciary duty, defamation, tortious interference with contract and business relations, conversion, unjust enrichment, unfair competition, franchise discrimination, breach of lease and license agreement, employment discrimination (summary judgment or partial summary judgment granted in five of the six cases)
• Lead counsel for national franchisor in a dispute involving claims for conversion and tortious interference with contract by a lender who claimed a perfected security interest under the Uniform Commercial Code (summary judgment for franchisor on claims for conversion and tortious interference with contract based on contractual set-off rights)
• Lead counsel for steel mill in triple fatality and personal injury class action relating to a commuter train/truck collision
• Counsel for beer wholesaler in dispute with another beer wholesaler involving claims of unfair competition, violation of Indiana statutory regulations and price discrimination (judgment on the pleadings granted)
• Lead counsel for employer and ten individuals in lawsuit by former employer alleging breach of covenant not to compete, breach of confidentiality/trade secret violations, tortious interference with contract and business relations, unfair competition, unjust enrichment and defamation (partial summary judgment granted; defense verdict on remaining breach of contract and tortious interference and trade secret claims)
• Lead counsel for national hotel management company and steel mill in employment litigation cases, including claims of sexual harassment and discrimination based on disability, sex, race, national origin, and other employment matters
• Lead counsel in obtaining injunctive relief in labor disputes at construction sites to limit picketing and prohibit violence
Areas Of Practice
- Trial and Appellate Practice
- Labor and Employment Practice
- Indiana, 1979
- Illinois, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, Indiana
- J.D. - 1979
- Illinois Wesleyan University
- B.A. - 1976
- Understanding the Impact of Insurance and Indemnity
- Understanding the New Federal Overtime Rule
- Four Revised EEOC Question-and-Answer Documents Provide
- Protected Concerted Activity Under the National Labor Relations Act Encompasses Many Activities, and Understanding that Protection is Critical for Employers
- The American Group of Constructors, Inc. v. BP Products North America, Inc., AAA, 01-15-0003-9125
- Think Tank Software Dev. Corp. v. Chester, Inc., 64D05-0205-PL-3861
- Infinaquest, LLC v. DirectBuy, Inc., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 61739, 2014, N.D. Ind.
- Payne v. Bucket Solutions, LLC, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 158663, 2013, N.D. Ind.
- Gagan, Allen, Wittlinger and Deutsch v. Yast, 966 N.E.2d 177, 2012, Ind. Ct. App.
- Gagan, Allen, Wittlinger and Deutsch v. Trivest Partners, LLP, 2011, Lake Super. Ct., 45A03- 1205-CT-208
- Lake County Trust Co. v. United Consumers Club, Inc., 2012 Ind. App. LEXIS 1145, 2012, Ind. Ct. App., 45A03-1111-PL- 527
- Think Tank Software Dev. Corp. v. Chester, Inc., 2011 Ind. App. LEXIS 449, 2011, Ind. Ct. App.
- Quality Oil, Inc. v. Kelley Partners, Inc., 2011 U.S. App. LEXIS 19211, 2011, 7th Cir.
- Van Swol v. ISG Burns Harbor, LLC, 1009 Ind. App. LEXIS 1031, 2009, Ind. Ct. App.
- Burns-Kish Funeral Homes, Inc. v. Kish Funeral Homes, LLC, 889 N.E.2d 15, 2008, Ind. Ct. App.
- Estate of Hammar v. Hammar, 847 N.E.2d 960, 2006, Ind.
- Green v. National Steel Corporation, 197 F.3d 894, 1999, 7th Cir.
- Brant Constr. Co. v. Lumen Constr., Inc. v., 515 N.E.2d 868, 1987, Ind. Ct. App.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana – Local Rules Advisory Committee
- Federal Bar Association, Northwest Indiana Chapter, Former President
- Porter County American Inns of Court